Sunday, January 7, 2024

Ghost Boat (Ceramics Fall 2022)

 Sculptures 21-22: Choice

Ghost Boat






Future Me Thoughts (Spring 2024)

Since this wasn't one of the main projects I don't have a write-up from that fall, so here's the recap.  This was based on another piece of a character in a boat (who also was a separate torso/leg combo) and I felt like it was a concept worth revisiting (Yellow Man is the silent hero haha).  I wanted to make a swoopy/curvy boat like the one used to cross the river Styx, and who better to ride that than a ghost?  There was also a strong desire to play with glaze in attempts to re-create the tie-dye abstract effect I had used on a painting for another class.  The effect came out AMAZING and was totally worth applying two layers of each color with a teenie-tiny brush... also apparently inside the ghosts halves which aren't actually visible when the piece is set up (I do that so often and why??).  Either way I'm very happy with this ghost boat and his skull friend enough to share it here!

WIP PHOTOS


"Yellow Man & Boat" from the first 20 experimental objects.  Yellow Man was the prompt "legs" (in which I made legs and then the torso after, realizing I didn't know how to attach them with the limited time I had so I kept them separate) and the boat the prompt "vessel with two sections"

When the pieces were still wet they were sticky enough to stack up!

Bisque fired



Though the fired glaze is much better this paint job still looks very cool

AUDIO ON
I am aware I accidently left audio on most of these but this one was very much on purpose... the kiln had been unloaded without me and I was very excited to see my pieces out for the first time!  My reaction is priceless and made me smile listening back



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ceratyr/David (Ceramics II - Spring 2023)

Ceratyr / David Ceramics, Brushed Yarn, Wire, Masking Tape, White Glue, Chalk Pastels (dyeing yarn), Mixed Media David pictured with his pre...